What are linework patterns?
Linework patterns or patternwork are part of the University of Melbourne design system and offer an alternative to using imagery in a secondary layer of your design. The patterns have been created to reflect physical and spiritual values that are part of the University of Melbourne.
Patterns offer a wider scope for you to create a unique look within the design system guidelines.
When incorporating patterns into your design, you should:
- use patterns within a coloured or transparent aperture.
- use as a textual fill (at low opacity) in headline or information panels.
Guidelines provide further detailed advice on how to use patternwork, including:
- creating custom patterns.
- using patterns with the aperture and focus marks.
- appropriate and inappropriate use.
Files are Adobe Illustrator compatible.